Personal | Arab Spring, Boycott, Egypt, Elections, Jan25, Middle East, Mubarak | 27 comments
A lot of people have been surprised with my decision to boycott the current historic presidential elections that we are currently undertaking in Egypt, Some of the arguments I have heard have included:
- “Don’t be passive go vote and at least block your least favorite candidate”
- “Your Boytcott is pointless if 10 Million people aren’t boycotting with you”
- “People died for us to have these elections”
- “You want SCAF to leave, they will NEVER just leave we need to take tiny crumb by tiny crumb”
Those are just some of the counter arguments I remember hearing.
Unlike the majority of my posts that take me a bit of time to write and are well thought out I will speak randomly and from the heart on why I boycotted:
- Why do we have to take crumb by crumb from SCAF?
- Why are we suddenly realists? Toppling Hosni Mubarak and sending him and his cronies to jail was so far fetched pre #Jan25 I would suggest we could have never even dreamed of accomplishing it!
- Why do we have to accept everything SCAF gives us as fact? Why?
- When they present us with elections that are 100% flawed why do we have to agree to them and file it under “Democracy”?
- When I have no clue what the powers of the president will be what am I voting for?
- When a former Prime Minister and Foreign Minister of Mubarak’s are running how can I be asked to vote and “accept the outcome”?
- When SCAF is running the elections why should I trust them now? What have they EVER done to earn my trust?
- When there are “small irregularities” in almost every single “lagna” how can the elections be free and fair?
- When the person counting the votes is the same person that killed my brothers and sisters how can i vote in elections run by them?
- When the only thing that stopped Omar Sulaiman from being in the elections is a stupid technicality as appose to the fact that he was Mubarak’s frickin RIGHT HAND MAN!
- When the mechanism to be eligible to run for president is such a farce that a singer with no education whatsoever technically qualified to be in the race while someone like Bothaina Kamel couldn’t qualify!
- When SCAF has purposefully sandwiched the Mubarak verdict in between elections to lessen the protest to what will surely be ridiculous ruling why should i vote?
- No one died for Shafik and Amr Moussa to run for president!!! This is NOT democracy
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I feel all we are doing is bailing out SCAF and emboldening them and giving them more power and I will not be part of this mockery
I don’t have all the answers as to what we should do and I don’t need to.
All i know is that this is unacceptable and I will not comply.
I will argue that writing this post and having hundreds or thousands of people reading it and opening up this discussion is far more powerful than baking my ass off in SCAF’s line while hearing people argue over which is the better candidate Shafiq or Amr Moussa!